To visit the Solomon Rockwell House, follow Rte. 44 west to Rte. 263 west (Lake St.); the house is located on the corner of Rte. 263 and Prospect Street. This columned Greek revival mansion built in 1813 displays collections of period furnishings, rare 19th century portraits including eight by Erastus Salisbury Field, and has an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia including weapons, uniforms, and letters. On the grounds there is an architecturally significant outhouse built in the full Greek Revival style with columns and other classical details.
For a side trip to Winchester Center continue on Rte. 263 west for 4 miles. This village hasn't changed much in 200 years. Today, it remains an intersection of narrow roads and open fields dominated by graceful examples of early colonial architecture and a classic Greek Revival Church surrounding a picture perfect village green that was once used as a training ground for the 25th Regiment of the Connecticut Colonial Militia in 1793. It is hard to believe that in the 1760's this hamlet was a major Toll Road for the Old Waterbury Turnpike. Retrace your steps to Rte 44 and continue on Rte. 44 west to Colebrook.